Saturday 1 October 2011

A thought about Rugby. Yes, I said Rugby.


I knew last night that I wanted to write a post about rugby, and coincidentally there has been a devastating announcement this morning concerning the All Blacks that only adds fuel to my fire.

You are now going to hear my opinion on something I know nothing about.  I don’t know the rules of rugby.  I don’t know what causes a penalty, I don’t really know what a conversion is, and don’t know when or why they scrum.  I don’t understand why the game often keeps going past the 80 min mark, and am not even sure what points are granted for a try or a kick or whatever.  Yet, somehow, the game is still important to me!  Let me tell you why.

As a Canadian raising a son who will be a kiwi, rugby is my new hockey.  I can see how the shining stars of the All Blacks are such important role models for our sons and daughters.  I think the All Blacks are even more significant to NZ than hockey teams are to Canada, though, because its such a small country to be having such a tremendous impact in the global sporting community  – they are world champions without a doubt in the game of rugby.  And, really, its hardly a game but more like a religion to the majority of the population.  The mood of the media and social network populace fluctuates in direct proportion with the ups and downs of the beloved AB’s.  NZ, with their modest population of 4 million, are given a certain amount of respect and regard due to the status of their famed rugby team.  Its something that helps a tiny but wonderful place get showcased to the rest of the world.  It puts them on the map.  On one hand, NZ is a gem that might be best left undiscovered by the masses, but on the other hand they rely on the influx of international tourists to keep the economy afloat.  Amazingly, the AB’s play a big role in this.  They are invaluable.

The All Blacks, for those that don’t know, are a force.  They are more than a physical unit made up of blood, sweat, muscle and grit – they will move you.  The passion with which they play the game is enthralling.  I’m not one for promoting idolization, but it wouldn’t worry me in the least if Jack grew up wanting to “be an All Black” – what that institution inspires into young people is comparable to almost nothing else. 

The rugby that I speak of is a rugby that involves Carter and McCaw.  I’m very new on the scene in regards to historic figures and monumental moments – and I know the game has changed since “back then”.  Yet I have nothing to compare it to, and can only judge by the impact they have in the here and now.  Yes, the game tends to get marred by salaries and egos and endorsement contracts etc, but all that aside I think they play for the right reasons and this shines through.  In the light of the media, the perceptions of Richie McCaw and Dan Carter are unflawed and unrivaled.  They never step out of line, are extremely diplomatic, level headed and fair.  They stay cool and calm in tense situations, and what you can see in their eyes – the determination and raw desire – is enough to send a shiver down your spine.  As the Rugby World Cup plays on, I am learning more about other players and also about tactic and game endurance.. but I have a long way to go.
Jack will have a lot of rugby influence in his world growing up as a kiwi kid.  He will play it at school.  He will learn the haka.  He has two uncles and a grandfather that payed serious rugby – in fact one of his uncles still currently plays for a team in England.  He has a gleaming reputation as a good kiwi bloke, no doubt, and will be loved for his ties to the homeland of the All Blacks.  That’s the thing about kiwi guys going abroad to play rugby – they have had that advantage of growing up in a nation where so much funding and focus is pumped into a single sport so they are almost guaranteed to excel in the game on an international level.
We watch the games religiously at home here in Australia on the telly. I have an appreciation for the importance of the All Blacks’ win in any game, as I see it as a morale boost for the whole of the country, thus being a result for the greater good.  And Nathan is able to watch the game and intricately scrutinize plays and tactics, thus making him more of a realist than me, which will be good for Jack rather than just my influence of blind hope for a big win.

Now, do I want Jack to play rugby?  I don’t want to watch him get tackled on a field.  I don’t want him getting concussions, torn ligaments, fractures and cauliflower ears.  I don’t want him to develop a huge ego, or leave me to go play rugby somewhere else (GOD FORBID)…. So, no, I don’t particularly want Jack to play.  I would rather he pursue, say, chess. Or perhaps even swimming.  Anything non-contact, thank you!!  But as I said before…. If Jack looks up to athletes with an amazing work ethic, determination and perseverance, I can’t complain too much.  If there’s one thing that’s attached to the stigma of being an All Black, its that hard work and lots of practice pays off.  In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a form of bribery throughout Jack's childhood.  "All Blacks eat their wheetbix.  All Blacks eat their vegetables.  All Blacks do their homework on time.  All Blacks dont play too much nintendo." you get the picture.

So, as I write this blog, the All Blacks are currently playing Canada on a live tv broadcast.  Canada scored the first points, and this only mildly amused me – I still have full faith in the All Blacks even though they have lost their two most valuable players for this match – Carter and McCaw, and Carter is actually out for the remainder of the RWC.  The mood in NZ at the moment is tense.  We are all the way in Australia and it’s affecting us.  Admittedly, I felt on-edge all morning while digesting this news about Carter, as I think it will break my heart if it negatively impacts the outcome for the team in this tournament.  The papers, Facebook and Twitter are plastered with nervous and panicked headlines and comments, with the odd hopeful optimist shining through.  I got in trouble on FB this morning for slating the All Blacks as Partial Blacks after the announcement of Carters injury – and rightfully so.  I should not have jumped on that negative bandwagon.  However the statement was a true reflection of the importance of that particular player to the team.  Hes not the whole team, but hes the single most important person, according to most people, including some retired rugby greats who were commenting on the issue.  But the team deserve more credit than this.  Shame on me.

So from here til the final, lets continue to support the All Blacks.  Do it for Dan.  Do it for Christchurch. Do it for NZ.  Do it for Jack.  (Cause everything revolves around Jack).  Just do it, guys, cause its more than just a game!!!!  It’s the livelihood of a nation, the expectation of the people, the hope of the fans, the yearning of the youth.  For so many reasons, they need this cup.  Lets put our faith where it belongs! GO AB’s.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your posts. Found your site through You Can't Get There From Here.
    I played women's rugby union for 20 years and played while living in Australia. My kids were thrown in the learning of league, union and aussie rules and I can see the skills in them now that we are back in Canada. Sport..... Hockey is no different with all the spot light. Though I do think Rugby players are taught more of sportsmanship then Hockey players. If you are the winners in Rugby you buy the losers a beer. I don't see that here in Hockey. I see the gloating and bad side more. I also remember one of the Australian players drinking during the week of a game and he was benched because of it. Good and bad. And like you mentioned at least NZ, Aus and UK fund their players. Canadian rugby players all play in the UK to be fit enough to play in the World Cups. Keep up the great work with your blog and being a stay at home mom. It's tough roll to change into. I have a hubby in mining so the moving throws you too. I miss some of the lifestyle of Australia. Canada though home is not what I remembered.

    ReplyDelete